Welcome to Boise With Pets
Explore Boise and beyond through our membership website and online community. Learn about local news and events, visit the pet blog and discussion forum, and search the business web pages in the Idaho Pet Directory.
A basic membership is free and allows you to follow discussion forums and comment on the news postings. Stay up to date on upcoming events and breaking news by subscribing to the optional RSS feeds.
Businesses and organizations can purchase a profile page in our searchable pet directory. Include your logo, contact information, web link, photos, and all the copy you want to promote your goods and services. Plus, you can update your page as often as you like!
We'll promote our members' activities on Facebook and Twitter, and offer optional Blogger reviews of the people, places and pets of Boise and the Treasure Valley. These blog stories can be reserved with either Picasso photos or You Tube videos, professionally written, produced and promoted.
So, get ready to experience Boise ... With Pets! We'd like to introduce you to each other and engage a community of pet people in lively conversation and fun activities. Look for photo contests and recipe tastings. We are planning a series of networking events for members too, so stay tuned!
Fourth of July Safety Tips from ASPCA
For many people, nothing beats lounging in the backyard on the Fourth of July with good friends and family - including the four-legged members of the household. While it may seem like a great idea to reward Rover with scraps from the grill and bring him along to watch fireworks, in reality some festive foods and products can pose hazards to your pets.
The ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center offers the following tips:
Never leave alcoholic drinks unattended where pets can reach them. Alcoholic beverages have the potential to poison pets. If ingested, the animal could become very intoxicated and weak, severely depressed or could go into a coma. Death from respiratory failure is also a possibility in severe cases.
Do not apply any sunscreen or insect repellent product to your pet that is not labeled specifically for use on animals. Ingestion of sunscreen products can result in drooling, vomiting, diarrhea, excessive thirst and lethargy. The misuse of insect repellent that contains DEET can lead to neurological problems.
Always keep matches and lighter fluid out of your pets’ reach. Certain types of matches contain chlorates, which could potentially damage blood cells and result in difficulty breathing - or even kidney disease in severe cases. Lighter fluid can be irritating to skin, and if ingested can produce gastrointestinal irritation and central nervous system depression. If lighter fluid is inhaled, aspiration pneumonia and breathing problems could develop.
Keep your pets on their normal diet. Any change, even for one meal, can give your pets severe indigestion and diarrhea. This is particularly true for older animals who have more delicate digestive systems and nutritional requirements. And keep in mind that foods such as onions, chocolate, coffee, avocado, grapes & raisins, salt and yeast dough can all be potentially toxic to companion animals.
Keep citronella candles, insect coils and oil products out of reach. Ingestions can produce stomach irritation and possibly even central nervous system depression. If inhaled, the oils could cause aspiration pneumonia in pets.
Never use fireworks around pets! While exposure to lit fireworks can potentially result in severe burns and/or trauma to the face and paws of curious pets, even unused fireworks can pose a danger. Many types contain potentially toxic substances, including potassium nitrate, arsenic and other heavy metals.
Loud, crowded fireworks displays are no fun for pets, so please resist the urge to take them to Independence Day festivities. Instead, keep your little guys safe from the noise in a quiet, sheltered and escape-proof area at home.